Monday, May 2, 2011

Recommended Tamil Movies (2000-2011) for fellow zealots ...

I am, a brazen, good Tamil movie fan. I do not believe in big names and banners. A great storyline, done pleasantly, would please me lots. And, I am proud that the Tamil movie industry is evolving positively, with each passing day. We have been having a large number of good movies. Of lately. Good to those who believe in moral and ethics of stories - done tastefully. Movies like this rarely appeal to the mass, due to many factors. If you are a fellow zealot,  for  praiseworthy Tamil movies, read on. If you aren't, chances are you are not going to agree with me, on most of the names here. 
2000
Alaipayuthey by Maniratnam - Do not ever miss this. Ever. One of the most romantic Tamil movies ever released. I have watched it countless times, and I still love watching it. Will always do. This is purely gratifying. My utmost favourite. You will understand why I am super crazy about this one, when you do. A present day epic. MUST WATCH.
Kandukonden Kandukonden by Rajiv Menon - One more stunning movie. For a great storyline, an even greater picturisation, heart stopping songs and oh-so-natural acting. Wholesomely enticing.
Parthen Rasithen by Saran - A far cry from your usual Tamil story, this movie took me by surprise. Simran did a wonderful job. Watch it just for her. Do not want to spill the beans by commenting further.
Bharathi by Gnana Rajasekaran - The chronicles of the great Mahakavi Bharathiyar. You do not need to know him, to watch. Just do. It will move you and tug your heart strings. Such beautiful motion which went unnoticed by many.
2001
Azhagi by Thangar Bachan - Of first love, poverty, the importance of education, missed opportunities and parenthood, this is another mile stone in the Tamil film industry.
Kasi by Vinayan - Thumbs up for bold and courageous ending. The movie that brought Vikram to great heights.
Nandha by Bala – Another surprising storyline. Rameswaram is illustrated beautifully.
Paarthale Paravasam by K. Balachander - I am a devoted fan of KB. He is the dauntless director. All his movies have that lion heart feel. He is an ace at confronting taboo subjects. This one is a never before attempt in Tamil cinema.
Pandavar Boomi by Cheran – Cheran. Another of those distinctive directors. This movie portrays family relationships and friendship in new altitudes. A family entertainer that will sure enjoy.
2002
Anbe Sivam by Sundar C – An intensely emotional movie. It is startling to know the Tamil movie industry can actually come up with great ones like this. One that will make realize how short life can be, and why you should be thankful for each given day.
Five Star by Susi Ganesan – Another one of my favourites. Not just because of Prasanna’s cute, guy-next-door image, but for the more prominent reasons. Friendship, family, love, promises and affirmations and the strings that come attached. Another great movie that was glossed over by the mass.
Kannathil Muthamittal by Maniratnam – Oh God, where do I start, when it comes to this one? Emotionally breathtaking. Beautifully heart stirring. A truly awe inspiring Tamil movie. A wonderful one which touches on how far parents’ go to fulfill their child’s happiness. Sterling performance by P. S. Keerthana, R. Madhavan, Simran, Nandita Das, Pasupathy and Prakash Raj.
Solla Marantha Kathai by Thangar Bachan – A village based movie. On dignity, sacrifices and humiliation and how the downfalls of your life, is what strengthens you best.
2003
Iyarkai by Jeganathan – A surprising storyline. With Rameswaran as the backdrop setting. Said to be based on Dostoyevsky's "White Nights".
Kadhal Konden by Selvaragavan – This critically acclaimed Dhanush starrer took us all by surprise. For me, it is still of the his best. A movie which will make you sit up and applaud the assuring Tamil film industry.  
Kaaka Kaaka by Gautham Menon – Do I need to elaborate on this one? The perfect dosage of everything the industry needed.
2004
7G Rainbow Colony by Selvaragavan – Again. Critically acclaimed as well as a commercial success, this one moved us all to tears. A movie which would make you evaluate life, and how short it can actually be.
Aayutha Ezhuthu by Maniratnam – I love this movie despite it themed practically on politics in contemporary India. My favourite character, is that of the notorious Inba by R. Madhavan. An overall good movie which did not sit well with the mass.
Azhagiye Teeye by Radha Mohan – It is sad to know that this movie did not become a success, monetarily as well as vice versa. I still believe this is one great movie. Clean, wholesome and a beautiful, fresh storyline. If you believe in good movies, this is a must watch. I still would, anytime given. A simple movie that took me by huge surprise.
Chellamey by A.R Gandhikrishna – Another good one. Believed to be one of 2004’s highest grossing flims. A radical narration of how too much of love can turn harmful.
Devathai Kanden by Boopathi Pandian – This movie scored a big 10 in my books, for its inspiriting climax. Watch. You will understand.
Kaathal by Balaji Saktivel – A beautiful true, love story that took Tamil Nadu by storm.
Vaanam Vasapadum by P.C Sriram – Despite having a number of reputed actors and actresses, this movie failed as a commercial success, most probably due to its gory storyline. A shocking and staggering screenplay.
      2005
      ABCD by Saravana Suppiah – A bouncy and energetic movie with a forward looking and open minded ending. An optimist’s cup of tea.
Kanda Naal Muthal by V.Priya – Yours truly’s top 5 favourites, undoubtedly. I love this movie for everything. If you love it just as what I did and still do, then we stand a chance of a decent affiliation.
The chemistry and the revulsion between Prasanna and Laila were so naturally, awesome. Must watch. Special mention for the last 30 minutes, which will keep you nail biting and on your toes, wondering what will happen and what will not. Did I say “Must Watch”?. Ya. Rephrasing.
Thavamai Thavamirundhu by Cheran – A father’s love know no boundaries, just like a mother’s. Most movies root on the latter, but Cheran went the mile, and focused on the former. A beautiful story like no other. Applauds for being a benchmark.
      2006
      Sillunu Oru Kaadhal by N. Krishna – Another great screenplay. The hero’s past and present love life was justified charmingly. How can you go wrong, when love is the subject ?
      2007
      Mozhi by Radha Mohan – A super hit at the box office and one that is critically acclaimed. Do not miss this for anything. A feel good movie, that would move you to tears and leap in joy. An all time favourite.
      Periyaar by Gnana Rajasekaran – Just like Bharathi, you do not need to know him to watch. On the life of social reformer, Periyar E. V. Ramasamy. Standing ovations for this one.
      Karuppusamy Kuthagaikaarar by Moorthy – I am recommending this movie for a couple of reasons. The importance of education for a women. The significance of family support in our undertakings. The emphasis on respecting elders. The gravity of love in our life. Karan deserves a special mention for the dialogues he delivers during the final moments of the movie. So does, the lyrics of the beautiful “Uppu Kallu” song.
      Satham Podathey by Vasanth – Everyone has rave reviews about this movie. A spine chiller that would keep you glued until the very end.
      Katrathu Tamil by Ram – This would be my Number 2 favourite. Reasons are unnecessary. And, the fact that this movie was not a commercial success, least bothers me. This is for the judicial, level headed, sensible and balanced ones. Everyone who isn’t would never be able to appreciate a movie as moving as this. I could write pages about this one. Jeeva astounded me with his performance, as did Anjali. Everything about the movie is beautiful, including the barren but panoramic Maharasthra.
      Kaloori by Balaji Sakthivel – Many college themed movies released after this one, but none were as good as what it was. An emotional movie that would tug your heart, hours after you have finished.
      2008
      Vaaranam Aayiram by Gautham Menon – No comments. The movie speaks for itself. If you have not watched, shame on you. That is all I have to say.
      Anjaathey by Myshkin – Another praiseworthy attempt. Special mention for a deserving cast and a new, out of the box storyline.
      Kannum Kannum by Marimuthu – An emotional screenplay. How fate schemes despite everything we plan. A good movie which did not appeal to the mass.
      Subramaniapuram by Sasikumar - This low budget film received critical acclaim for its original script, expert direction, screenplay, editing, accurate sets and costumes to resurrect Madurai from the 1980s. and all that done, with relatively new actors.
      Dhanam by Siva – A stormy storyline you would never have expected to come, from the Tamil film industry. This is a rare gem. Sangeetha earned rave reviews for her portrayal of Dhanam.
      Raman Thediya Seethai by Jeganath – Another feel good movie you can enjoy with anyone. This movie will put a smile on your face long after you have finished.
      Seval by Hari – A twist in the tale movie which I believe was a good and novel attempt.
      Bommalaatam by Bharathiraja – You would be thrown in a tizzy with the way this movie concludes. A puzzling and bewildering storyline.
      Abiyum Naanum by Radha Mohan – If this movie does not move you tears, then you must be intolerant, stony and callous. Parenthood at its best.
      2009
Venilla Kabadi Kuzhu by Susindran – I liked this movie although many considered it to be much of a bore. Good movies do not need big names. This one proved so. Set in a rural and remote village, emphasizing on a Kabadi, a Tamil sport activity, with a clean, no hush love story – this is brisk and refreshing.
Siva Manasula Sakthi by Rajesh – A full length comedy. Jeeva and Anuya had the huge chemistry that made the entire movie worthwhile. A must see, if all you want to do is laugh and roll with joy.
Kunguma Poovum Konjum Puraavum by Rajamohan – I hold this movie in high esteems. I think it was a wonderful attempt. The newcomers were naturals. The flow of the story was good. And, the songs were amazing. A Tamil sparkler.
Pasanga by Pandiraj – The movie I recommend to everyone. This is like a directors dream. It earned high critical acclaims, bagging three National Film Awards and several other awards at International Film Festivals. A simple storyline involving two foes who eventually become friends. There are so many heart touching scenes in the movie. You can watch the numerous times and not get bored. Believe me.
Nadodigal by Samuthrakanni – I am a Samuthrakanni fan. I think he oozes appeal and charm. Like the flow of his movies, as well as his acting abilities, but unsure on the way he handles his mega serials. His movies score a big 10, to me, though. This movie was a super hit, thanks to its original screenplay. Not your norm Tamil movie. Give it a try. It is definitely worth the watch.
Pokkisham by Cheran – How could the mass not appreciate a pure, love story like this ? It is, indeed, very hard to please the Indian audience. This movie is a classic. Slow paced but nevertheless, one priceless production, not to be missed. You need to be artistic and broad minded to enjoy this.
Eeram by Arivazhagan – A very good Tamil thriller. The movie progresses well and will keep you glued and wondering, what will happen next. A good bet on a day when you need something surprising.
Unnai Pol Oruvan by Chakri Tholeti – Terrorism countered at its best. Kamal is among the very few who can put and relay things in a logical manner. That is what he did in this movie. Another fact paced movie that will keep you seated until the end.
Yogi by Subramania Siva – Many disagreed with me on this one. But, like told earlier, I am not here to write about mass favoured movies. I am writing about those with  zeal, and distinct and impromptu. This fits the bill, perfectly. On how the arrival of  a kidnapped child changes everything in a rebel’s life. Ameer and Madhumita awed me with their outstanding performance.
Renigunta by R. Paneerselvam – Again, people thought I must be crazy to actually recommend this movie. They said that it looked dirty and the actors were a messy lot. For heaven’s sake, movies are supposed to be done with a huge sense of reality. If you want something prim and proper, then, you are not of my taste. Despite the grueling violence this movie had, the final moral of the story is a brilliant message to the youth out there. A valuable movie that you should not miss.
2010
Angadi Theru by Vasanthabalan – A gem of a movie. A quantum leap in the Tamil film industry. There were many parts of this movie that moved me to tears. It was done in such great taste that missing this one would be equivalent to missing the entire contemporary Tamil movie industry. Wholesomely gratifying. This is one which will make you see life in a whole new dimension.
Vinnaithaandi Varuvaayaa by Gautham Menon – Everyone’s favourite love story of 2010. Simbu at his best, to date, I would say.
Raavanan by Maniratnam – I was never a fan of Vikram until this one. The performance he gave was intense and mind boggling. It is only Mani Ratnam who can do justice to special issues like these.
Madrasapattinam by A.L.Vijay – The movie I so love. An amazing story. The pre-Indian-Independence era was pictured beautifully. And, such heartwarming Tamil songs, with exquisite Tamil lyrics. I was definitely bowled over.  
Boss Engira Bhaskaran by M.Rajesh – A full length comedy. Enjoyed it to the very last despite many finding it a way bit annoying. Tastes differ.
Easan by Sasikumar – An audacious attempt that went unnoticed. The lives of the rich and famous in present day Chennai. Special mention for Dushy (Jayaprakash)’s acting as Easan, himself. A moving screenplay, which will make you wish that life could be fairer to those who are not financially endowed.
Naan Mahaan Alla by Susindran – There is only one thing I want to say about this movie. The gallant, daring and headstrong ending.
Kalavani by Sargunam – Another original screenplay, set in a rural backdrop. Lots of funny moments. The hero charms with his witty ways. This is a good one, which again, did not appeal to the mass.
Aval Peyar Thamizharasi by Meera Kathiravan – This is a 2010 surprise. A sad tale of love between a puppeteer’s daughter and the grandson of a rich man and how love can actually make you do the cruelest of things.
Naanayam by Shakti S. Rajan – A modern day Tamil thriller which was done tastefully. It will keep you guessing until the end.
Baana Kathadi by Badri Venkat – I liked this movie for the untainted friendship and love between the hero and heroine, which was done with grace and purity. Nothing to shout about, but a relatively good one.
Inidhu Inidhu by K.V Guhan – 8 newcomers in a movie, but they aced themselves through like old timers. They were just downright natural. A great movie which received rave reviews from many.
Drohi by Sudha K Prasad – I am a “Drohi” buff. Vishnu and Srikanth won me over with their outstanding performance. I think this movie is worth every moment.
Mynaa by Prabu Solomon - Beautiful everything. The storyline. The scenic location. The childhood love. The songs. The emotions. The what-it-is-like-to-have-a-soul-mate movie. 
2011
Aadukalam by Vetrimaran – I am an ardent fan of this movie, and of Dhanush. I look forward to this winning many awards. An awesome storyline completed with a sterling performance. And, evergreen, lovable songs. Must watch.
Yuddham Sei by Myshkin – A new age Tamil thriller. A whodunit. You will be surprised by the outcome. Slow moving and confusing at times, but a good watch.
Nadunissi Naaygal from Gautham Menon – Rather gruesome for a Tamil movie, but Gautham Menon must be praised for his brave attempt. Fairly good despite the brickbats he received from his South Indian fans.
Kathalar Kudiyirupu by A.M.R Ramesh – I watched this a few days back, and thought it had a real good storyline. This movie is practically invisible when you search the web. I caught the trailer by chance, and found way to watch it. The hero and heroine were candid and forthright despite being debutantes. I have been recommending this to many of my friends, of lately, without much response. Zealots are becoming extinct, I guess.
Kullanari Koottam by Sribalaji – A current must watch. Vishnu continues to amaze me. He is a promising actor. A normal love story with a beautiful twist. A comedy and a family entertainer. 

The 2011 & 2012 updates are over here. Do read, as well.
http://ennakupidithapaadal.blogspot.com/2012/12/recommended-tamil-movies-2011-2012-for.html

29 comments:

മഴ said...

Loved the list..thanks

Shallinee Raman said...

Glad you did.... Ain't surprised that you loved it after knowing you are a fellow Scorpio.... Cheers from Shalu!!!!

Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to
say that I've really enjoyed surfing around your blog posts. In any case I will be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again soon!
my site: burberry check headband

Unknown said...

Shalini,
I am following your list and also sharing with my friends. Please keep them coming, there are people in the US that are depending on you!!

Fellow Scorpio too!!
Arti

Shallinee Raman said...

Sharing is such a sweet thing.
I am blushing neon pink - thanks to your compliments. :-P
Will do ! Update movies that are worthwhile.....

p/s : Scorpios - tasteful, that's what we are !!!!!! Xoxo !!!!

Unknown said...

Why havent you added Mynaa, did you not like it?

I really liked that movie! Just curious

Shallinee Raman said...

I missed Mynaa ?? R-E-A-L-L-Y ???? I loved it. Lots. It was a heart breaker, yet a beautiful one. How could I have missed it ? Apologies. This wonderful film left me teary eyed, hours after it ended..... Thanks for noting I did not mention it..... Will get it updated, ya !!!

Unknown said...

Sorry, Shaini, it is Arti that is posting. I will sign off as Arti going forward. Anyway, I do see Mynaa now, I also liked Karupusammiyin Kudhirai, pretty good movie, I thought. Also update 2012, would like to see if you liked "3", I did!! Passionately loving another person or being is sthg I have always found fascinating, Gunaa for eg.

Shallinee Raman said...

Dear Arti,
I am in the midst of penning the 2012 Tamil movie list for fellow zealots, like us :-P, and ya, there is a special dedication for you. For inspiring me.....
"3" was good. How can we differ ? Scorpios are not just passionate people but the most faithful of the lot. Right ?
Guna ? Yes, yes, yes. What an awesome movie. Many people found it confusing. I believe it was mindblowing.....
Cheers Arti !!! Xoxo !!!

Unknown said...

Still waiting girl!! Yes, I hope to meet you too! I rarely visit India, once in 5-6 years! But, I definitely want to visit Malaysia once. Will let you know. Yes, I have a Harley Davidson and I love it, my favorite part of the day is taking it to work! Lots of rules in the US though! We should chat sometime, send me your gtalk id!

Shallinee Raman said...

I am all smiles ...... Thanks to you....

Unknown said...

Hi Shallinee Raman,

I just watched Ammavin Kaipesi and really liked it. Its tough for me to get good tamil movies to watch. And so as I have done for the last couple of years, I was just looking for such a (This) list and it was just great luck to come across your blog.
The start of the list is perfect and when I saw the Prasanna starrers Five star and Azhagiya theeye i knew this was it. And to top it all what you say about Kanda Naal Mudhal is exactly what I feel.

Great. Thanks. Keep it coming.

Best Regards

Vyass

Shallinee Raman said...

Dear Vyass...

Thanks. It has been a while since my last post.... Your comment, in my gmail inbox, put a smile on my face & a dose of inspiration, as well.

Appreciate the feedback, loads.

In the midst of updating the 2012 zealot's list. Hope you will find them amusing, too.

Take care, God Bless & a very happy and blessed New Year.

~Shalu~

Unknown said...

Thanks for your good wishes.
Hope you have an eventful and successful year, having its share of movies.

Anonymous said...

Thanks... I watch alot of movies but seeing your list made me realize how many good movies I have missed. I've just realised Prasanna's a great actor too after watching some of his movies on your list...

Shallinee Raman said...

Dear Anon.

Glad my list was of help to you. I, too, love watching Tamil movies. Good ones. Ones that make me proud that I am Tamil. A recent one that I truly liked was the fast paced "Chennaiyil Oru Naal". Have you ?
Prasanna is a great actor - but is not given much of a chance. Poor thing, right ?
Thanks for leaving me lines of encouragement. Will update every now and then, if a great movie, worth mentioning comes up.
Iniya Tamil Puthandu Nalvaathukal Miss/Mr/Sir/Madam "if-I-onlu-knew-your-name".... :-)

Unknown said...

I really like ur movies list...U missed some good movies in ur list....I like u to see that movie...
pithamagan
Kazhugu
sethu
Vettaiyadu veliyadu
Paruthi veeran

Shallinee Raman said...

Saad - thanks. I have watched all the movies you have mentioned. Unfortunately, they were just not my cup of tea. I have mentioned Kazhagu, though. Take care. God bless.

Madman said...

Katradhu Thamizh is probably my most favorite movie of that decade. Ram's sensitivity, poeticness, pandithyam comes out so well in the movie. Many got the movie wrong, it was actually a glance into a society which boycott arts and literature for just technical education and money and the imbalance it causes.

I feel you have missed out another movie from Director Kamalahaasan, Virumandi. Easily one of my all time favorites. The films deals about the validity and ethics of death sentence. As always Mr Kamal never ceases to amaze me.

Shallinee Raman said...

Dear Venkat (Allow me to call you so - after all, this is a non formal blog :-P),

Agree. It was such an inspiring movie. But, I was clueless on why only a handful people ACTUALLY bragged and truly appreciated the greatness of the movie. The Indian audience is indeed, hard to please.

I loved the movie for plenty of reasons. The moral. The message. The cinematography. Jiiva. Anjali. The Tamizh Aasan. Every single thing in that movie startled me.

The movie also reminded me of my late Appa. Despite being born and bred here in Malaysia, he ensured all of us in the family read, write and speak Tamil. In fact, it remains the spoken language at home. I found learning Tamil, during my younger days tiring. But, now, I am so very thankful. To my Appa, and the teachers who helped me master the language.
No language has the ability to describe things as in depth as Tamil, and you will only be able to understand this statement, once you start learning the language.

Thanks for the comments, Venkat. Very much appreciated. I have watched Virumandi. It had way too much of violence for my liking. But, I want to give it another try. I will so, soon. Will keep you updated.

Once again, thanks. Take care. God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I stumbled on your list when I was typing list good tamil movies. I am so glad I found this. Plan to watch all that you have recommended coz the ones I like are in your list. My only complaint, pls Scorpio
s maybe good :) but we Geminis are no less. So lets hear it for the Geminis too, eh Scorpios?

Shallinee Raman said...

Greetings Gem of a Gemini ....
Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like the list.
And, apologies for the over board Scorpion bragging rights. Will try to keep them a little at bay from now. :-)
Gemini ? Wee Weeeeeeet (the whistle sound :-p) I adore. The most lighthearted of zodiacs.
I am in the midst of compiling a list of good Tamil movies that I managed to watch in recent times. Looking forward to you liking them, too. :-)
-Shalu-

Anonymous said...

Dear Shallinee, an awesome post. Thanks for all the useful tips, I really appreciate the effort! Now that I've seen most of the movies on your list, I've become an even bigger Tamil fan than I was before. However, I'm a bit sad that you 'hated' the Kolaveri movie (Moonu). I loved every second of it. This was the movie that made me fall in love with the Kollywood magic and the Tamil culture in general. It even prompted me, an European guy, to start learning the sweet Tamil language. Still, tastes differ and I've learned to trust your judgement in all other cases. Thank you so much again, you are the best.

- Gabriel Ter -

(And, just for the record, I'm a wicked Scorpion, too...) :-)

Shallinee Raman said...

Dear Gabriel Ter... What a unique name, but aren't Scorpios ALL unique? ;)
Thanks for the compliments. I am smiling. From ear to ear. From like, Arctic to Antartica. Glad you liked my list. Your words echoed a genuine delight. The flair of it.
Moonu? It was too poignant. Heart wrenching. I prefer to stand up with a smirk when the movie ends - than, swollen eyes.
So happy, you are learning Tamil. It is hard but worthwhile. Such a poetic language. Chances are, you are going to fall for its array of songs, once you get the grip of this very beautiful language. I owe all my gratitude to my Appa. And, yes, I miss him.....
Signing off for now. Watched "Un Samayal Arayil" a few days back. Loved it. Give it a try.....
Regards,
Shalu.

Unknown said...

Hi Shallinee,

I cant speak tamil but can understand a bit of it and i had been searching for a few tamil movies to watch. Ive watched some of the famous tamil movies but it always seemed like theres more to these kind of movies than meets the eye. I just watched "Yuddham Sei" and i had to come write a comment, it was such a brilliant movie. Funny and irrational how many of these movies are not spoken about. Thanks for this exhautive list. Cant wait to watch more from your list.

Regards,
Chetan

Shallinee Raman said...

Cheetah Vasudev....

Thank you. For enjoying something that I this too, but did not get enough mention....
The Tamil audience prefer masala flicks. I mean, a majority of them.
My list was written for all those fellow zealots. People who appreciate the beautiful Tamil movies. The deserving but lesser appreciated ones.

If you like thriller, give Onnayum Aatukuttiyum a shot. I truly enjoyed it.
Or for something fun, try the recent Mundasupatti.

I've got a long list - yet again. Need to update. Unfortunately, laziness sets in. Hope to do it soon.
Learn Tamil. Make it an aim to do so.
It is truly beautiful. Far more romantic than French. Really.....

Take care. God bless.
Thanks again.

Shalu

Shallinee Raman said...

Chetan Vasudev, I'm truly sorry for the spelling error on your name. I'm gonna keep cool ;) and blame it on my iPad's spell check. I truly hope you will continue reading and watching the Tamil movies I've mentioned.
Apologies, again. God bless.

Unknown said...

All songs are superb. I hear this song in mukilapp

Anonymous said...

Hi :) I love this list SO much! please do an update for 2015 :)