Sunday, December 30, 2012

Recommended Tamil Movies (2011-2012) for fellow zealots ...

Inspired. And motivated. That is what I have become. Thanks to this sweet well wisher named Arti . Her compliments in my comments column spurred me...... The web is a wonder, isn't it ? We are both Scorpios. We are separated by miles. We are strangers physically yet acquaintance virtually. We share the same perception for wonderful Tamil movies. Not the one that appeal to the mass, but rather ones that will make you sit up, smile and say, "Wowww.... that was one great Tamil movie..!". One that would inspire you to watch another brilliant one.
Hordes of bright movies are being made in this Dravidian language. My mother tongue. The one I speak, read and write. Thanks to my Appa, who was adamant, I did - all three.
I concluded my post on May 2nd 2011, a Sunday under the title, "Recommended Tamil Movies (2000-2011) for fellow zealots ..." with Kullanari Koottam by Sribalaji.
Lets get the ball (or rather list) rolling.....
For my fellow zealots, especially Arti Priya.
Also, to Sekar Sundaram and Sivaram Mayilnanthan. And, a well wisher named Raj.
For Vivek Ramz, the reviewer who thinks on the same wavelength as me, I would have given up on Tamil movies had it not been for your mind provoking words. I could read a hundred Tamil movie reviews, but in the end, I know yours will be the only one I would totally agree on. You remain Numero Uno, in reviews that I read.
2011
Vaanam by Krish - Another one that made us realize that Simbu can ACTUALLY act. After VTV. This is a beautiful story of how lives intertwine and come together to create a great, calling forth ending. Critically acclaimed.
Azhagar Saamiyin Kuthirai by Suseenthiran - Appukutty is living proof that you do not need to look a million dollars to act well. His affection for his horse will bowl you over. So will, the factual and intelligent mocking on the beliefs of  rural folk. Give it a try. I bet  - you will not be disappointed.
Eththan by L. Suresh - A fairly watchable one. Vimal, as a debt drowned man whose life takes a turn when playful ways lead him to trouble.
Aanmai Thavarael by D. Kulandai Vellapan - Love can make you move mountains. And, that is what the hero of this movie does, when his heroine gets kidnapped. It has a decent story line centered on human trafficking and one superb song titled, "Kathal Adaimazhai Kaalam".
Aaranya Kaandam by Thiagarajan Kumararaja - The ultimate Tamil gangster flick. The first ever neo-noir Tamil film. I loved the flow of the movie. Expect a jaw dropping ending.
Nootrenbathu (180) by P. Jayendra - The first half of the movie was excellent. The progression, flawless. The second half was, however, a little unbalanced. Special mention for excellent cinematography.
Veppam by Anjana Ali Khan - Another movie, that I will definitely recommend fellow zealots. Surprising storyline, wonderful songs and a commendable cast. Sterling finale.
Rowthiram by Gokul - I think Jeeva was excellent in this movie. He carried his character so well, I found myself constantly applauding and praising him. The no-nonsense, reserved hero who believed and fought for  the positive values instilled in him by his grandfather. And, ya, awesome songs with special mention for my all time favourite "Maalai Mangum Neram" and the catchy "Senganthaal".
Engeyum Epothum by M. Saravanan - Must watch. Critical and commercial success. All I want to say is, G-O W-A-T-C-H.
Muran by Rajjan Madhav  - This is an astute Tamil movie. Said to be inspired by Alfred Hitchcock's psychological thriller Strangers on a Train, it will keep you wide awake with its impulsive twists and turns.
Mayakam Enna by Selvaragavan - Marriage is a life long commitment. And, a wife who will stand by her man, come what may, is all a man needs to succeed. Yes, Dhanush carried his part well. I am not saying this just because I am indeed an ardent fan of his. He did. He does, in 99% of his movies. He acts. He doesn't try. He is a natural. But, in Mayakam Enna, it was Richa Gangopadhyay's Yaamini that stunned and startled me. She was unmarred in her role. A great movie - on life, its ups and downs.
Poraali by Samuthrakani - The Samuthrakani-Sasi Kumar combination always come up with awakening issues. This, too.
Mouna Guru by Shantha Kumar - On how a college youth unwittingly gets involved in a crime plot, and the amount of devastation it brings upon him. A good watch.
2012
Nanban by Shankar - 3 Idiots in Hindi was awesome. This is the remake, and it was just as good. Yes, I just endorsed a Vijay film !!! Help me God... (with a wink) !!!
Marina by Pandiraj - This will look like a documentary. Look like. But do not let appearance fool you. This has a wonderful storyline. Simple yet solidly splendid. Must watch, by all means.
Kaathalil Sothapavuthu Epadi by Balaji Mohan - A romantic flick. With a clear message. Play it on a day when all you want to do is unwind with a cup of coffee and finish that last sip with a smile.
Aravaan by Vasanthabalan - On my must watch list. Based on Su. Venkatesan's novel titled, "Kaaval Kottam", it's sad that this great movie went unnoticed. I am a Tamil movie zealot, and I loved every minute of this wonderful movie.
Kazhugu by Satyasiva - Supposedly based on real life incidents, this is the tragic story of a group of man who recover suicidal victims bodies. Watchable.
3 (Moonu) by Aishwarya Dhanush - The "Kolaveri" movie. There are only two options for this one. You either love it, or hate it. I hated it, actually. I wish they had altered the ending. I wish. It was way too poignant for my liking. Despite that, I think it a great attempt on the bipolar disorder issue. And, ya, delightful songs.
Leelai by Andrew Louis - The first time I watched this movie, I had the remote in my hands, constantly fast forwarding every scene. The hero was way too conceited for my liking. But, my favourite reviewer coaxed me into giving it a second try. I did. And, ya, I liked it, for its offbeat theme.
Vazhakku En 18/9 by Balaji Sakthivel - Balaji Sakthivel is an ace in film making. So, this comes as no surprise. A great watch. A must see. Did you know that this one was nominated for India's Oscar entry for Best Foreign Language film ?
Manam Kothi Paravai by Ezhil - A wholesome family entertainer. I do not need to say more.
Naan Ee by S.S Rajamouli - This is my favourite 2012 movie. I have watched it for God-knows-how-many-times. I was and still am amazed by the out of box storyline. A fly as the main character in a Tamil movie? Wowwwww... And Nani, and Samantha, and yes, villain Sudeep, and Santhanaam - they all deserve equal mention.
Maalai Pozhudhin Mayakathilaey by Narayan Nagendra Rao - People found this very slow moving with more dialogue than action. It is. But, the dialogues are inspiring. compelling, gripping and riveting. I love the last scene when the heroine pours out her heart to the hero, as the beautiful romantic ballad, "Yen Uyire" plays in the background. Anything can DEFINITELY happen over a cup of coffee. Agree !!!!
Attakathi by Pa. Ranjit - This is a college love story. One sided, I would say. You will need to watch it yourself, if you want to know if reciprocation actually happens. One word of caution, though - the hero has the ability to annoy you big time. Watch at your own risk, but do not strip me of my Zealot title, if it does not match up to your expectations. LOL.
Naan by Jeeva Shankar - Twist and turn. Crime thriller. I liked it. Many found the ending rather illogical. I found it engaging.
Sundarapandian by Prabhakaran - Sasikumar loves friendship based movies. My personal findings. This is based on one, too. Friendship turned awry. I liked it nevertheless. Especially, the steadfast heroine.
Kumki by Prabhu Solomon - I love elephants. This movie revolves around these humble mammals. Interlaced is a love story between an elephant caretaker and the village head's daughter. Excellent cinematography, mind blowing songs and out of the world scenery. Must watch - definitely.
Neethaane En Ponvasantham by Gautham Menon - I anticipated this movie for months. The GVM and IR combination is an ultimatum. Unfortunately, this was not my cup of tea. There is only ONE thing I love about this movie, and that is the "Ennodu Vaa Vaa" song. Nothing else. Period.

I have read great reviews about Vaagai Sooda Vaa by A. Sargunam, Dhoni by Prakash Raj, Saatai by Samuthirakani, English Vinglish by Gauri Shinde, Pizza by Karthik Subburaj, Aarohanam by Lakshmy Ramakrishnan, Ammavin Kaipesi by Thangar Bachan, Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom by Balaji Tharaneetharan and Neerparavai by Seenu Ramasamy. Sadly, I have yet to watch them. If you have, let me know, if they would fit the zealot's list. Will watch them, anytime, I get the chance, and update this post, on it, if possible.

So, there you go. I hope it will be of good use. The list, I mean. 

Happy New Year everyone !!! God Bless !!! Have a great year ahead !!!!

p/s - It has been approximately a month since I returned from my favourite country. I miss her. My India. I always do. She is constantly on my mind. My very first Deepavali in India went va-va-voom. Loved every second of it. I am counting days, to my next visit...... 

Oops. No song of the day time around. Too many, playing on my mind....
Signing of with a wink and heartfelt New Year wishes
~Shalu~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I picked Aanmai thavarel to watch from your list..other that i watched all the movies...

Shallinee Raman said...

It's a nice movie. Watchable - definitely. Thanks for stopping by. :-)