Sunday, December 30, 2018

Tamil movies for your free days...

This is not my zealot's list. Some movies mentioned here are from my zealot list, though. Note : Some. Most are ones I have watched and recommend you to, on your free days.

Watched & recommended for 2017 & 2018 :-
  • Adhe Kangal - Kalaiyarasan, Sshivada & Janani Iyer. It was a rather good crime thriller. On rainy, snuggled on your sofa, this could be a good pick. Also had some nice songs.
  • Dora - The gorgeous Nayanthara in the lead. Humour & horror well done. 
  • 8 Thottakal - MS Bhaskar Sir nailed it as the main character. A crime thriller with a good set of casts. Tamil thrillers are revolving. 
  • Pa. Paandi - Power Pandi. One of the best I would say. Because it didn't need glamour and glitz to leave a mark. Truth is, I love these kind of movies. Feel goods ones that end with a tug of the heart. And the songs. I have them on loop on my playlist. Rajkiran & Revathy Maam outshone Dhanush & Madonna Sebastian. 
  • Bahubali : The Conlusion - Rajamouli brings movies to an all together different level. I prefered the first but this was tremendously good as well. p/s :- we visited the Bahubali sets at Ramoji film City in Hyderabad in February 2018. 
  • Oru Kidaiyin Karunai Manu - Dont let the rustic surrounding of the movie con you into not watching this gem. This is a stellar. Again, no glamour, no glitz. Armed with an astounding storyline and very talented casts, this is another must watch of the year. 
  • Vikram Vedha - The Movie of 2017. Wins uncontested. Yes, I am a huge fan of the very charming Vijay Sethupathi. And the young as ever Madhavan. But the movie is above them. I watched at the theaters, skeptically. Some reviews were rather negative and cynical. But I am glad I went ahead because this, is one of our very best Tamil thrillers. 
  • Taramani - Because Director Ram is an ace at what he does. Warning : The hero will annoy you to the maximum. But, that is not what good movies are about. The story line wins. Ram wanted to emphasize on the cons of social media and he did it rather well. Yuvan's music brings further grace to the movie.
  • Velaiila Pattadhari 2 - The first one was superb. A mass. This was moderate. The floods in Chennai and the lessons we should learn from the catastrophe. 
  • Thupparivaalan - Another one of my favourite directors. Mysskin. Another good crime thriller that you can safely enjoy.
  • Solo - This is a Malayalam remake. It is a compilation of a few good stories. It has the dark feel so if you are not much of a fan, please skip. I truly liked the movie - nevertheless. 
  • Meyaadha Maan - Vaibhav. Priya Bhavani Shankar. Acute romantic comedy with equally fun songs that you should give a try. 
  • Theeran Adhigaram Ondru - Based on a true story, this action thriller dwells into the history of robbers in India. 
  • Aruvi - Aditi Balan. An original social drama. Must watch. I guess I have reviewed 10 reasons to watch it in early 2018.
  • Savarakathi - Mysskin & Ram. Poorna, the heroin, in her character, will drive you mad. She has the ability to nag continuously. But there is Ram, and there is Mysskin, and there is this beautiful story about a father's responsibility and love. And a very very beautiful song titled, Anaanthu Paar.
  • Nadigaiyar Thilagam - A biography on the legendary Savithri Madam. I enjoyed Samantha & Vijay Devarakonda just as much as I did Keerthy Suresh & Dulquer Salman. 
  • Kaala - Superstar's best. He shines like a diamond as Karikalan. The entire cast too. For me, it was Rajini Sir's best to date. He played someone his age. No frills, no foreign locales. And songs that melt your heart. Must watch even if you are not a Thalaivar fan. I am. Diehard. :)
  • Lakshmi - Prabhu Deva and that very talented little Ditya Bhande. A dance musical that you can enjoy with your family.
  • Merku Thodarchi Malai - A village based movie on the cardamon sellers and the struggles they endure. It is based on the heir plights. Solemn.
  • U-Turn - Samantha Akkineni is drop dead gorgeous - as usual. A horror movie with a twist. And the message it delivers. 
  • Pariyerum Perumal - Many people have referred it as the best of the year. The story dwells on caste and the continued importance we give them despite all the progress in the world. I want to write further about the movie, but I will definitely recommend it to everyone. Remember, our blood is all red.
  • 96 - My movie. Vijay Sethupathi & Trisha. Loved it to the core and have watched it too many times, till date. Everything about the movie is REVOLUTIONARY ! :-)
  • Nota - A political based movie with the cute Vijay Devarakonda, Naseer, MS Bhaskar, Satyaraj and a lot more. A good watch especially for NRI's like me. NOTA - None of the above, in election terms.
  • Raatchasan - Crime thriller with a very eerie villain. Go watch. I do not want to spoil the excitement.
This is it. A short compilation for 2017 & 2018. Hope you agree. Hope you watch a couple of what I have recommended.

Goodbye 2018. Hello 2019.
Stay blessed peeps.

Here's Ponapokkil from the 2017 Adhe Kangal.

No comments: