Thursday, March 11, 2010

Charmed by Chennai and Madras Suthi Paarka from May Madham

Chennai. She charmed me. This was the first city that brought me into India. First ones are always special, aren’t they? Same here. Chennai swept me of my feet. Contrastingly. I do not know what it is about Chennai that attracts me so much. I cannot explain the rationale. All I know is that, Chennai absolutely charms me. The mere thought of her puts a Cheshire cat grin on my face.


Known as Madras up until 1996 and located on the Coromandel Coast of the Bay of Bengal, the capital city of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu is the fifth most populous city in India.

There are so many places in Chennai to visit. So many things to give it a go. Do not let some gloomy Gus daunt you. Take a trip to Singara Chennai with buoyancy and good spirits. Chennai will sure charm you. Just like it did me.

Marina Beach. Golden Beach. Gandhi Beach. Besant Nagar Beach.

Pondy Bazaar. T. Nagar. Panagal Park. Nungambakkam High Road. Spencer Plaza. Panteon Road in Egmore. Stores and boutiques near Cathedral Road.

Filter coffee – anywhere, anytime. Immeasurably delicious Thali Sets. Saravana Bhawan. Vasantha Bhavan. Komalas’s in Kodambakkam. The food court in Spencer’s. Murugan Idli Kadai near Ranganathan Street. Adyar Ananda Bhawan for Indian sweets.

My favourite cuppa - chilled pomegranate juice near Dheenadayalan Street. To die for. I can close my eyes and imagine how tasty it was.
Satyam Cinemas. Santhi Theater. Inox. Mayajaal

Hickinbothams for books. Paperback booksellers along Pondy Bazaar.

Kabaleeswarar Temple. Astalakshmi Temple.

Birla Planetarium. Fort St George. Government Museum. Valluvarkottam. Snake Park. St Thome Cathedral.

The list goes on. Ask any Chennaite, and they will tell you. Or ask a charmed Malaysian like me, and I will - as well.

Go Chennai. Trudge and traipse. You will love her – too.

Song for today - Madras-ai chutti paarka poren.... Poovomaa ???


No comments: