Monday, September 17, 2012

Engengu Nee Sendra Bothum from Ninaikka Therintha Maname

Hello, once again. Pretty spirited, ain't I ? Two posts in a week. India, is responsible. The notion that there is less than 60 days before I touch the land where my soul resides, is inspiring and thrilling. Have you ever heard the Smurf's theme song ? The one that goes, "Lala Lalalala Lalalalala.." Well, my heart is thumping exactly, that. In, ecstatic mode.
I decided late last night, as I was heading to bed, that today was going to be 'Pictorial Day' over here, on my blog. And, I guess I am, somewhat rightly prepared. So, here goes.
p/s - The song of the day, is Engengu Nee Sendra Bothum from Ninaikka Therintha Maname. Scroll down to listen to this super romantic number, but don't skip what I have written. So much of energy and effort spent by yours truly. Give it a try. It is not those long winding ones that would lullaby you to sleep, but, rather, ones, that would put a silly grin on your face, and a little twinkle in your eye. And, ya, I bet, by the time, you finish reading this, you will be humming my song of the day..... 



  •  This is the ONLY picture on my bedside table. My late father and me, when I was say 4 or 5. Girl's are always dad's favourite, as boys are with mum. My father, my everything. The one who taught me to appreciate the little things of life and always remain humble and compassionate, to and about others. I still hold on to every word of advice he has given me. Not a day passes by without me, thinking of him. Not a day without me, missing him. And, yes, I would give up everything in life, to have him hug me, just like old times. And, yes, yes, I have tears trickling down my face, this very moment, because I miss you tremendously, my darling Appa. For being the greatest - I will always love you !!!!!

  •  I love architecture. Buildings, despite being inanimate, are beautiful. This is one of Whiteaways Arcade in Penang. It has that classic colonial feel. If we would just take a minute to appreciate the amount of diligence and travail people have actually invested in making it stand. 



  • The colours of India. White, green and orange. This is staple accessory during my every visit to my motherland. I am a proud Indian enthusiast. During one visit, while I was in Vellore Golden Temple, and the nation was celebrating Republic Day, I waited for half an hour, to get hold of the Tiranga flag brooch. I had it pinned on my churidhar the whole day. Still have it. 

     
  •  I LOVE books and can drown in them. These are what I have at the moment. Most, done with. A book, a cup of chilled coffee and a seafront sounds perfect. Care to agree ?????



  • The bright pink chrysanthemums that I bought this morning. Don't they look, hmmm, vivacious? A stalk sits beautifully in a clear vase at my home's Satya Sai's altar. 




  •  I love elephants. There is a certain attachment I feel for them. I fancy anything to do with them. From mugs to soft toys to fabrics to movies. Encountered a real one during a drive pass Satyamangalam, Erode. Too bad that the driver did not let me go have a closer look. There is a new upcoming movie titled 'Kumki' and it revolves an elephant caretaker. The songs are awesome. 

  • Of ferry rides and Penang Island. Yes, the service can be horrid at times, with a waiting period of more than 30 minutes, but on a breezy day, believe me, it is an out of the world experience. 15 dreamy minutes if you are on vacation. If you are a daily user, hmmm, you might not appreciate them as much. Nevertheless, I do. I enjoy my ferry rides. My daily dreamy ferry rides. 


  •  This was our visible treasure trove, back then. My siblings and mine. We flipped through them every day, enjoying every word and fancying every picture. We would have REALLY loved them - that's why they are still in tip top condition. My parents gift to the 3 of us. My love for reading was due to them.




  • This is the full moon in August 2012. Over here, in my hometown - Sungai Petani, Kedah. It was big, bright and beautiful. And, it lit my entire garden, whimsically. 384,400kms away and yet it delivers that magical feeling. The Late Neil Amstrong, how I envy you.




  •  I so love ice creams. My fondness for the gelato is huge. I can have them any time of the day, without a drop of guilt. Midnight. When I am having a bad flu. On a super rainy day. The snack that I just cannot say no to. This was a treat by my sister, at Swensen's Gurney Plaza, Penang. Vanilla cone ice cream dipped in pistachios. Hmm.. Ice cream date anyone ?? I am free - anytime. LOL.

  • What I had this morning for breakfast. Lemon curd rice with spicy potatoes. Purely vegetarian.They were so delicious, I ate them in lunch portions. In other words, I had breakfast like an Emperor. Ya. I did. 


  • What's on my bed right now ? A large fluffy foot rest cushion, my beige Charles and Keith bag, my Acer netbook's cover, the book I am currrently reading (and loving) and my Philips MP3. They are taking rest for now.... My turn comes later.




  • Tadaaa.... And, here they are. My International Passport. The old one. Cancelled. The new one. Ready. 52 days more to go. I love you, Malaysia. And, I love you, India. Every nook and corner. 



  • Today. 17th September 2012. The first day of Puratasi. At 7.45am. A lit lamp. My blooming thulasi plant. The one which shares my innermost feelings. The month when Lord Vishnu resides on earth, with us fellow mortals. Ask Him anything you want. He shall answer.....


  • The angry (haangiri - if said Vadivelu style) clouds of Sungai Petani minutes before it rained cats and dogs last Friday. No matter how immense the storm is, the sun shines - eventually. Life - alike. Tears and joy complete the circle of life.


  • Local roses from Amma's garden. In full bloom. You should have seen them in real. They were so, so picturesque. Vivid. Trimming and constant caring keeps them happily blooming. Attention, is the magic word. 





  • This is a hand down saree from Amma. A cousin gave it to her last year. She has never tied it. She gave it to me, this morning. It is silk and comes in beautiful milk white and blood red colour. Mum just amplified my passion for sarees. 


  • Me, in a ocean blue and brick red Kanchipuram Pattu from India during a close girlfriend's engagement. I love the colour. It was a gift from an uncle in India. Matching steel bangles to top it all off. 






  • I am a Starbuck's fan. Not Coffee Bean's. Starbuck's is bitter. Coffee Bean's is sweet. My favourite cuppa is a light caramel macchiato. Or the iced latte. And a piping hot pie with chicken and mushroom filling. And, yes, I love to laze around in their oh-so-cozy lounges. 


  • Inspired by former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, Mu. Karunanidhi. Like really ???? Yes. REALLY. No jokes. I think the thick black frames makes one look, stylish and impressive. It creates a kind of dominance. I wear them on my casual outings. The one on top is powerless. The one below is not. 

  • This was a steal at Malaysian Ringgit, Thirty only. Fell in love with it, at first sight. My Deepavali saree needs to revolve around this centre piece. So, I am looking for something which has a green border or a sufficient amount of green on it. Like baby pink and green. Or orange and green. Or saffron or green. Something bright and bold. It will be indeed, the festival of lights and a dull hue, is not going to be my choice. If you have a colour combi that is running on your mind, leave me a comment. It will be appreciated, for sure.



  • And, at last, here it is. My washing machine. No more hand laundry except for the delicate ones. My  source of joy on a Friday evening - knowing I do not need to drag myself out of bed before 8am and  take part in manual washing, rinsing and spinning. LOL. For the first time ever, we are using top load. It has been good to us so far (2 weeks, now). 










  • Two recent Tamil movies that would be worth your time. Naan Ee and Naan. I want to be tight lipped about both. Go watch. You will not regret. That is all I can say. Entertaining. Mind boggling. Zealot recommended.




  • And, finally - here it is. My confirmed tickets to the land I so, so love. Penang - Kuala Lumpur - Chennai, and return. The anticipation is overwhelming. Pray it will all go well... 


And, now - at last ..... Enjoy. The song. The week ahead. The minutes of the day. The God given life. The beautiful family. The peace and nature.....
God bless....... Shalu, signing off, with love to each and every one of you!!!!

2 comments:

Raj said...

It is refreshing to see that you are getting very excited about India trip. It reminds me of my own experience, I used to draw up a count down chart and stick it to the fridge and cross out each morning. Usually I start 6 weeks in advance. We go and shop to visit India and we used to buy a lot of gifts from Sarees to electronic items to toys.

We used to be exited as we start landing in Mumbai, usually in the early hours, and the aroma (more a smell) of the airport and the sudden ocean of so many people when you come out of the airport.

My in laws will be waiting in the arrival lounge and my Monther in law would have hot coffee . and in the AM we would have a great breakfast and lot more coffee.

Have a safe trip and have good fun.

Do you have to take any vaccination shots before going to India?

Regards

Raj

Shallinee Raman said...

Hi Raj !!!!!
Guess that visit back to India, boosts, most of us, especially since the Bhārat Gaṇarājya is always close to heart.....
Sweet when you put that - "the sudden ocean of so many people when you come out of the airport..." I know EXACTLY how it feels. Strangers who feel familiar. The happiness is astounding. I SOOOOOOO love India.
Hahaha... Tell me about it. Those wonderful breakfasts. Grandma makes me pile up a minimum of 5 kgs, on my trips there.
Thanks for your well wishes.
Ya. Vaccination is recommended - but, no I have never had one before my Indian vacations....
Raj, thanks again..... God Bless
~Shalu~