Friday, September 30, 2011

Naan Padum Mouna Raagam from Idhaya Kovil

I ABSOLUTELY love Fridays. Today is another. For plenty of reasons. The fact that I get to rest, relax and unwind for the following 48 hours, being one steadfast justification. I love weekends. More so, if they are longer than the usual two days. Holidays are so counted on. 
Lunch was Chinese vegetarian with a couple of girlfriends. Glutted and gorged, in other words. There goes my remain-at-43kgs-diet. Sad. But, the calling for delicious food is stronger than slimming regiments. 
I cannot remember hearing much of this song. It played on the radio during my drive back home. A confounding number that left a mark in my thoughts. An emotional number with powerful, poignant lyrics. 
A google search reveals that this number comes from a 1985 movie titled Idhaya Kovil. One directed by the great Maniratnam with music by Maestro Illayaraja. I am sure I have never watched the movie. That's why the song does not ring a bell. But, yesterday, it struck my chord. Enormously. 
This SP Bala rendition is a must listen. 
நான் பாடும் மௌன ராகம் கேட்கவில்லையா
என் காதல் ராணி இன்னும் தூங்கவில்லையா
கண்ணீரில் உன்னைத் தேடுகின்றேன்
என்னோடு நானே பாடுகின்றேன்
உன்னைக் கண்டு தென்றலும் நின்று போனதுண்டு
உன்னை காண வெண்ணிலா வந்து போனதுண்டு
ஏன் தேவி இன்று நீ என்னைக் கொல்கிறாய்
முள் மீது ஏனடி தூங்கச் சொல்கிறாய்
உன்னைத் தேடி தேடியே எந்தன் ஆவி போனது
கூடுதானே இன்று பாடுது
உடு இன்று குயிலைத் தானே தேடுது
கண்கள் என்னும் சோலையில் காதல் வாங்கி வந்தேன்
வாங்கி வந்த பின்புதான் சாபம் என்று கண்டேன்
என் சாபம் தீரவே யோகம் இல்லையே
என் சோகம் பாடவே ராகம் இல்லையே
பூவும் வீழ்ந்து போனது
காம்பு இங்கு வாடுது
காலம் என்னைக் கேள்வி கேட்குது
கேள்வி இன்று கேலியாகிப் போனது

No comments: