Monday, February 27, 2012

Naanaga Naanillai Thaaye from Thoongaathe Thambi Thoongathe

It’s Amma’s birthday – today. And, I wish her all the happiness, prosperity and good health in the world. I pray – with all my heart – for her wellbeing. She, is, after all, my heaven sent goddess. 
Amma is a rare gem. She prefers BBC than Sun TV’s mega serials. American Idol than Tamil movies. Sudoku than the local news. Cycling than hopping on the car. Brisk walking than being a couch potato. She loves to read, watch the National Geographic Channel, enjoys science and educational documentaries, knows in and out about American politics and encourages healthy cooking. 
Amma claims to dislike cooking - despite being a Home Science teacher. And, yet cooks up a storm, for us, practically, every other day. Our daily dinner is always with two helping of vegetables (one leafy), a protein based dish as well as a platter of fruits. She also alternates soup or porridge, five days a week. On days when she is a little more hype, we also get great home made desserts. 
I was never close to Amma – until Appa’s untimely passing. Her sacrifices during that testing moments were humongous. Right now – she rules every bit of my life. I would not be where I am today, without her love, support and encouragement. I am glad – she is my mum – mine - and not someone else’s. 
We, Hindus believe in reincarnation. So do, I. And, if I were to be reincarnated, how many lives come may, I want her as my mother. Only her. No one else….. 
A mother is flawless. Mine is, too. I wish her a great Birthday, this 2012….. 
Amma, God Bless ya – always and forever….. 

No comments: