Monday, August 27, 2012

Oh! Shalini from Pooveli

Exit 168 on the North South Malaysian Highway - where home sweet home is......
ஒஹ் ஷாலினி.....ஒஹ் ஷாலினி.....
காதல் பெண்ணே தேவை இல்லை கோவம்.....
பூக்களுக்கு பல் முளைத்தல் பாவம்.....

Heard this one, inadvertently. It put a smirk on my face and a beam around my brain. SPB-Ji has this perky way of delivering songs with full blown feelings. 
You will know what I mean, if you give this song a try. And, this is extra special because he croons my name, as well. 
It was an awesome day, indeed. Gallivanting, is what I did in the afternoon. Traipsing around my little hometown, which is pretty calm and composed - is fun. And, that is EXACTLY what I had this evening. FUN in capital letters. So, to everyone out there, who have been hoping for me to bounce back, thank you so, so much !!!!!!

I am spirited and strident. And this is me, spontaneously. 

1. My favourite colour is yellow. A little bizarre because I have the least number of clothes in that hue. 
2. I miss my father all the time. He is on my mind 24/7. He was the greatest. Still is. Always will. 
3. Have you ever been to the magnificent Thayumanavar Swamy Temple, enroute the Ucchi Pillayar Temple in Trichy ? I find the architecture, ingenious.
4. Yours truly is indubitably loquacious - with people who I adore. And, vice versa.
5. Mention India, and I am all frisky. My motherland psyches me - big time. Reasons are plain nonessential.
6. Oru Ganam Oru Yugam Aaga from Nadodi Thendral is such a whimsical number. Maestro Illayaraja dazzles me as he weaves in his magical voice at 03:03. Heart stopping. 
7. Money is not what life is all about. Sadly, that is the conception of the present generation. It is, undoubtedly,  important BUT NOT everything. If you are a workaholic, and somehow, fate brought you to this particular post, and if you are reading it at this precise moment - do me a favour (or rather, do yourself, a favour...), take a day off and just unwind. It is those small moments that make your life big.
8. I love my religion. I am a proud Hindu. I was born one and WILL die one. And, yes I am devout.
9. Breakfast like a king. I do EXACTLY that. My first meal of the day is always in large portions. People are surprised that I can actually eat that much. I am 43kgs and 5 feet 1 - petite by any standards.
10. There is NOTHING wrong in smiling at the stranger on the street. It is a beautiful form of acknowledgement.
11. I am believer in good etiquette. People who are courteous and go by decorum, bowl me over. 
12. Alaipayuthey is STILL my favourite movie. And, Kanyakumari is in like manner, my most romantic spot. 

So, Shalu IS back, I guess. Vaayaadi (a talkative girl, in Tamil), is back. It was another of my father's pet name for me.....

Cheers to happy days ahead. To me, and each and everyone of you. 
Take care, God bless.



7 comments:

Raj said...

not sure how much you are familiar with Trichy, but during my college days in St.Joseph's , I used to go to the Uchhi pillayar koil, used to have a competition to see who could climb first all the way to the top. Amazing view from the top, mesmerizing Kaveri and train going slowly on the bridge, with lot of coconut trees. The fresh breeze blowing against the facing cooling off the heat of the climb, no words to describe, And ofcourse, we used to have bajji at the teppakulam as well on the way back, (the concept of eating on the road side stall is a no no for my kids!)

Glad, your blues turned into yellow, Regards

Raj

Unknown said...

Glad you are back babe!! You and I are similar though very different in many ways, I am not devotional, I am not very patriotic, but yes, I do smile at strangers and always make it a point to do one deed everyday to make someone smile, say appreciating someone's shoes in the elevator, appreciating the barista that makes my chai everyday, noticing her new lipstick, and what not! My husband is non-tamil, my son only speaks Hindi/English, I dont have many Tamil friends here, so you are probably the only Tam friend I talk to these days! I am a die-hard romantic. I married the love of my life (long story!!) and I love my job, my husband, my son, my dog, my motorcycle (yes! I ride one!), the home we both bought together, the family we have become, the small things like tomatoes growing in my garden, apples ripening in our apple tree. Small pleasures! I look forward to hearing more about you! Keep smiling!

You know who I am! :-)

Shallinee Raman said...

Raj - You must have had the best times of your life while in Trichy. I can imagine, how it would have been. The view from the top is awesome. Bajji ?? Noted. Will make sure I have them hot on my next trip which is barely 3 months away. :-))) Thanks for being glad that I have turned yellow :-))) Take care, God Bless.

Shallinee Raman said...

My unknown (but, known :-P) sweetheart of a stranger..... Yes, yes, yes. I am. Back. You small pleasures of life sound hugely wonderful and I cannot help but wish the day I meet you in person, is not faraway..... You ride the motorcycle, too ??? I have been pillion for most of the time, now. Was badly bruised when I was 17, during an attempt to do a stunt. :-P.... Our National Day today. So, unwinding for now, and will be out and about later in the evening. You take care, dear. Cheers from, Vaayadi.

Unknown said...

Yes, and am a very careful rider! My motorcycle is a 1000 lbs (2000 kgs) and some 15 times larger than me!! If I make one mistake, I can lose my life! Esp with all the traffic and speed here in the US. I have even taken my 8 year old on rides. It is fun indeed! Looking forward to more posts from you... soon!

Unknown said...

Yes, and am a very careful rider! My motorcycle is a 1000 lbs (2000 kgs) and some 15 times larger than me!! If I make one mistake, I can lose my life! Esp with all the traffic and speed here in the US. I have even taken my 8 year old on rides. It is fun indeed! Looking forward to more posts from you... soon!

Shallinee Raman said...

You better BE a careful rider and safe me the nagging and the tears, babe !!!!! Sounds fun yet scary..... Do drive carefully, ya !!!! God bless !! See ya around, too !!!