Sunday, January 26, 2014

Metropolitan Varanasi ~ My next destination :-)

Varanasi, in the state of Uttar Pradesh, is also known as Benares or Kaasi.
And this metropolitan city is EXACTLY where I am heading next.

Will also be visiting the states of Rajasthan, Haryana, West Bengal, Bihar, Uttarkhand and Himanchal Pradesh. The tour agent has reminded us to bring our winter jackets.
The weather, they say, has become, colder than expected.

Back, to Kaasi.
Yes, I am as old as a dinosaur.
And, yes, may be a little young for Kaasi.
But, it is my darling Amma's wish to visit this place of worship, which is, undoubtedly, the most auspicious Hindu site.

The land of Lord Shiva. And Goddess Parvathi.
The land where the holy river Ganges flows.
The ultimatum for a Hindu. And, I am, a devout one.
Still more than a month to go. But the excitement is building.

My mother bought me the Hush Puppies luggage. My brother paid for my North Face backpack. Packing is still weeks away.


I am truly excited about visiting this wonder. 10 things that encourage me, more so ever, :-
  1. According to legend, Varanasi was founded by the Lord Shiva. In one verse of Skanda Purana, Lord Shiva says, "The three worlds form one city of mine, and Kaasi is my royal palace therein." 
  2. The holiest of the seven sacred sites in Hinduism. 
  3. A devout Hindu's dream to visit this holy site, at least once, in their lifetime. 
  4. The oldest city in India. (3000 years) 
  5. It has about 84 Ghats, embankments made in steps of stone slabs along the river bank where Hindu pilgrims perform rituals. The Dashashwamedh Ghat is the main and probably the oldest ghat of Varanasi located on the Ganges River, close to the Kaasi Vishwanath Temple. It is believed that Lord Brahma created it to welcome Lord Shiva. 
  6. The Kaasi Vishwanath Temple, dedicated to Varanasi's presiding deity, Lord Shiva is an important Hindu temple and one of the 12 Jyotirlingam Shivan temples. It is believed that a single view of the Vishwanath (Shivan) Jyotirlingam is worth more than that of all other jyotirlingas. 
  7. Sarnath, 20 kms away from Varanasi, is where Buddha taught his first teachings. They have a couple of beautiful Buddhist temples, known as Stupas, here. 
  8. The boat ride along Ganges River. A-Must-See. 
  9. The awe inspiring Ganga Aarti. Another, A-Must-See. 
  10. An original handpicked Benarasi Saree.
Take care. God Bless.

p/s - If you want me to say a prayer for you, while I am there, just leave me a line. 
You will be able to find my email address at my profile page.....

No comments: